Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Living bees and Cluster Size

After this weekend i got a few emails regarding some very small cluster and many dead bees on the bottom boards or out front. My comment in a nut shell, if they are still living leave them, some bees over winter in really small clusters (Russians are a prime example). My bees were very activly flying and so far i still have 100% of my hives living and activly cleaning the hives on the warm days. I see no room for worry and am very pleased after this weekend, IF i make it thorugh this witner with zero losses it will be 2 solid winters with ZERO losses, i must be hearing my bees right or maybe i am just lucky.... you never know with bees. LOL

Anyway, here is a picture of my typical cluster size it seems, but thats only a guess really. You can see about 3 solid frames of bees in the picture but the cluster is actually about 5 frames... This is a VSH line of bees with some dark and some yellow bees...

None of this really means anything at all, but it is neat to see with the plexi covers...

No comments:

Post a Comment